View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
... The HORRIBLE thing is, I love her. I could not bear to see her suffer in some bad way. Yet, I can't stand to be around her. I can't stand her period. I cry over her because I wish so bad I had a good relationship with her.
Oh Wabbit, I'm so sorry you hurt so much (((( hugs ))))).

My biological parents were a non-starter. Selfish alkies all the way thru. I hurt for a long time wishing i had real parents and a real family. Then I learned in al-anon that giving my uncoditional love to relatives who don't _earn_ it is a waste. There are so many other people out there who don't have children and _are_ worthy of love. I set out to make my family of _choice_.

My ex mother in law is 95yrs old, and the most delightful lady ever. She has outlived 3 husbands and is full of life and energy. Not a single codie bone in her body, and no addictions either. She never had children of her own, so we adopted each other. She is now my Mom and I am her son and it works out marvelously well.

Today I have wonderful friends that are as good as any biological family. We look out for each other and help each other thru the challenges of life. There is this one lady who calls me her "bro", and she might as well be a sister to me. She's well acquainted with wordly ways here in Las Vegas and keeps me out of trouble like an older sister would. One time I was making friends with a woman I thought was very nice, turns out she was a madame trying to recruit me as an employee and my "sis" had to practically grab me by the ear and drag me away, threatening to rat me out to my sponsor

Wabbit, I think you've already started to make your new family. You've got a whole bunch of people right here on Sober Recovery that would be proud to have you as a relative. I know I would be honored to have you as my "cousin"

Mike