Thread: S.C. Check-in
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
allport

I like meetings when people share honestly how it was for them and how it is now, i often find myself very moved by some of the stories i hear. I walk away feeling worse when it a meeting full of what i would call AA fundamentalists. I hate being told in one breath that its not about religeon only to be told later that if i dont have a higher power all i can look forward to is insanity or death. I cant do things the AA way, i first went a few years ago and i really tried, in a way i owe my militant atheism to AA. I have never believed in god for as long as i remember but i never really thought about it, once i started to try and do the steps i had to examine my belief system more carefully and bit by bit i began realise that i disbelieve very strongly. Again i have nothing against AA as a group of recovering individuals, some of the people i have met there are nothing short of inspirational, but i cant commit myself to a fellowship that condemns me simply because i cant turn my life over to something which amounts to no more than wishful thinking (of course this is only my opinion but i am entitled to it). x