Old 11-17-2008, 04:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
marle

Welcome to SR. My daughter is my addict and she also abused opiates. You have to let them hit a bottom but you can help them reach that bottom by not enabling them. Addicts need to take responsibility for their addiction and sometimes the only way they will do that is when they lose everyone and everything. When using becomes more painful than the idea of getting help. When you talk to your sister you are really talking to the chemicals that she has put into her body. It is very hard to talk sensibly with an active addict. They just go round and round in circles and that can lead the person trying to talk to them to feeling a bit crazy themselves. Addicts will also lie to protect their addiction, so believing anything your sister tells you is a waste of time. When she is angry and mean she is most likely craving the drug and when she is pleasant she is most likely high. Go to a meeting if you can. How they will help you is by showing you how to keep the focus on you and away from the addict. They have helped me immensly along with this forum. My daughter still tries to manipulate me but it is much much harder since I have found recovery for myself. Hugs, Marle