View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bugsworth

Hey Cat...you asked about people who believe in God but for whom recover is not a "God thing." I am one of those people as is Alera. While we both believe in God we don't (at least for me) believe God functions in the way aa claims he will by following the 12 steps. For me, my life experience and my religious background proves this to be true. While this is a secular forum I can identify with many people here whom seek sobriety. I went to aa for 10 months utilizing the felowship...I did have a home group and a service position....some suggestions I took...some, like the steps, I did not. The results...I am sober 17 months and no longer need aa. For me it was a win win situation.

I won't say my attendance at aa was alway easy...my beliefs gave way to many questioning my "program" and the gossip about me ran rampant, but it was all part of what I was willing to do to get and STAY sober.

Do what you need for you...you are in charge of your life and your sobriety. Anyone who tells you that only a "spiritual" cure is necessary is mistaken...they are not at fault...sometimes the truth is hard to see.

Wishing you great success!