View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CatWings

My thing is that I want to be wary of falling into that trap because it does get into that kind of mind-control area that is insidious and may work for some people though not me.

As Carl Sagan used to say, "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."

I went to OA meetings for my eating disorder years ago, and all it did was scare me - my father and a therapist told me that this was "the only way" out of this thing and then there was the program telling me that if I did not "give myself over to this simple program" that my only options were "insanity, jail, or death." I was overwhelmed and surely defective because I was probably one of those who was born without the ability to be honest with myself, as they say.

But for now, I am going to focus on the present and the help I need with that awareness in the back of my mind. But I am not a cult member and from that I have to be diligent about taking what I need for now and leaving the rest. They even suggest you do that.

I am going to an NA meeting tonight simply because I am having a lot of cravings today and just need the support and to hear the positive recovery of others.

However, I went to an MA meeting and people were talking about their sponsers and all of the sudden I started thinking that maybe I should get a sponser. That is the last thing I want to do. My father told me today that he never did that in all his years in AA and that he thinks that is for the military types that need to be told what to do.

Just be careful in it all and use common sense, though the 12-steppers will tell you that your "best thinking got you here."
And as someone else said, it's your journey and whatever progress you can make in your recovery is always progress. Having the guts to get any kind of help you need is a positive step.

( I hope it doesn't seem like I am discouraging anything that would be helpful to anyone. Feel free to ignore me or offer criticism, anyone.)

Last edited by CatWings; 11-14-2008 at 04:09 PM.