View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lobo

Need a shoulder for this one!

Friends,
You haven't seen me around here for quite some time. I sneak in every once in a while to check up on everyone. I see many new faces. For those who don't know me I have a 27 yr. old daughter who was addicted to heroin for 6 yrs. She and I have been through so much I could write a book. I am not getting into all of that. For those who do know me, I need you once again in my life right now.

You see, my daughter has been doing well in the recovery end of her life. She has been clean for quite some time now, but not without problems.
She met a guy about 5 months ago. The relationship took off like a wildfire.
He did drink a little too much and she didn't like it so he joined AA and stopped drinking. He bought her a ring and they became engaged. Things were moving along great, then the bottom fell out. She is pregnant. She actually accepted it really well and she couldn't help but feeling happy about it. Now the difficult part.......he says, "abortion or we are done". He does not want a child in his life right now because it is not an ideal situation.

What makes it not ideal is the fact that she is on a maintnance dose of methadone and they are not married. His parents have a very strong influence on him and they say no way, no baby. If he does not grant their wishes they refuse to help him with any of it. You see, he still lives at home.
They also do not like my daughter because of the methadone. They look down upon her and think she is the worst thing that has happened to him and he is the best thing that has happened to her.

I agree that the situation is not ideal, but we do not live in the land of fluffy marshmallows. She does not want to have an abortion and she does not want to lose him. I see it this way......she is in a lose, lose situation. If she does what HE wants, the relationship will never be the same and no baby. If she does what SHE wants, she loses him, and raises a baby on her own.

Come on gang, put your heads together and give me some advice to pass on to her. She is really depressed and hasn't came out from under the covers all day. I am really worried about her.

Thanks for listening................Lois