Thread: Highs and lows
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ANGELINA243
We Do Recover

Originally Posted by BeachAngel View Post

For the past two days I have been feeling bad but afraid to tell anyone. My new AA friends seem so excited about how great I have been doing/feeling, I don't want to disappoint them or let them know I have not been feeling well. They are my biggest cheerleaders.

You did the right thing by posting how you feel and not picking up a drink. You will not disappoint anybody in AA--we have all been there. I don't know anyone in the program who was happy/excited all the time...especially when they were in early sobriety.

I am feeling not very excited about my new life all of a sudden, I think I actually MISS my old ways, my comfort with the known. This is all so new for me, I am so out of my comfort zone on so many levels.
Slowly start to venture out into the realm of the "unknown" in Recovery--of course. I was the same way at first--it felt uneasy dealing with feelings/emotions which were completely foreign to me. Alcohol ruled my life/my mind for so long--I didn't know how to function as a human being without it. It was a learned process--it didn't happen overnight. Plus, I had to quit hanging out with certain individuals and old hangouts where drinking was heavily involved. It was difficult at first. It felt like my world had ended--in a sense. That was all I knew...and felt like it was all being taken away>but iI knew it was for the best.--even though it hurt .

Is this a part of recovery and how long will it last? Am I not ready for recovery?? I am terrified of this thought. Please advise.

You will have your ups/downs. You are in the recovery process already. This can be your bottom. Just keep moving forward--and hang with the women in AA (if you are female). They will help save your "butt" when you feel like you don't know what to do..and desperately need some help. Learn from everyone in the program--but stick close to the women. Some men, although not all men take advantage of females new to recovery. I was one of them. One thing I would suggest is being honest with those you trust in the program--your AA cheerleaders--and let them help you get through this. You don't have to pretend everything is ok when in fact is isn't. You aren't being true to yourself. Remember--"To thine own self be true."