View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jimhere

I agree that listening is prayer. It is called attention, and attention centers the mind.

I practice a variation of what is called Centering Prayer. Centering Prayer is based on a technique written about by a fourteenth century monk. If you want to know more about Centering Prayer itself, I recomend a little book called "Open Heart, Open Mind," by Fr. Thomas Keating. Although it is based in Christian tradition and practice, you don't have to be a Christian to practice it. The basic technique is to choose what is to you a sacred word. It can be any word that means something to you. Then sit still and focus on that word. When random thoughts occur, just let them go by and return to the word. Keating recomends sitting for twenty minutes, but I would suggest five minute , no more than ten minutes, morning and evening, to start.

As I said, my own practice is a variation of the above. I use a phrase and my breath to get centered. I sit upright but comfortably and set a timer. The one I use is gentle, not the jarring kind. I've chosen phrase that I use, in this case something from the 23rd Psalm-"The Lord is my shepard, I shall not want." I breath in a deep breath. Actually I breath in "the Lord is my shepard." And then breath out "I shall not want."

I've been doing this for awhile now and it works. I've also incorporated some Buhddist practices as well. So I guess my real advice is to find what works and stick with it. Follow your heart. There are many helpful books. Ministers and rabbis can helpful as well.
Jim