View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Ago View Post
@ Doorknob: I hear you and apologize, this is the secular forum, and upon rereading I realized I was trying to "sell my product", which is just religious/spiritual tolerance but that forum is two doors down on the right, my bad
No worries, I almost deleted that post. I didn't want to run anyone off, not that I could, lol.

For me, I was unable to put together any real "long term sobriety" where I was actually happy without AA and the steps, when I quit drinking without AA i am miserable, isolating, glum, and I can't get laid for the life of me........whereas with AA, meetings, working the steps, etc. I do get "the promises" and my life gets good, I can "not drink" and actually get mentally healthy and happy, I've just never been able to do so without it, and that hasn't been for lack of trying, I always end so miserable eventually that drinking actually was a viable alternative.
I don't know about the steps, but I definitely need and crave the group interaction. I wish the Spokane area had just a few of the LifeRing meetings that the Bay Area has. I was born and raised in Oakland, and took many drives to Muir Beach with my dog. At that point I was still enjoying my using and knew nothing about LifeRing. I did have the opportunity several years back to attend a few meetings while I was visiting family.

So, for me, it's no big deal to have to hear the word "God" a few times a night if in return I get a life that's so vastly superior to my old one I can't compare the two.
Hearing the word 'God' is one thing, but I have a really hard time with the proselytizing, patronizing, and condescension that comes from so many members, especially when my sobriety is tenuous at best. They may as well hand me a 40 oz and tell me to kick rocks.

Of course if I could still drink like I used to, it would be a non issue as well, and the only time I would have to hear the word God it would have "oh my" next to it and be in bed, and that's OK too.

seriously though, my mistake.

However.....

the flying spaghetti monster needs converts and money though, and God needs your money, and with just a small donation....oh never mind....
Don't leave out the Invisible Pink Unicorn!