Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy8Canuck

I hope to add as a voice of a quad addict....alcohol 10 yrs sober, gambler 7 yrs since last bet, smoker 7 yrs smoke free and recently 6 days ago opiate addict recovering. I am a 37 yr old that has a wife and kids that I love very much and they love me, I worked in a great occupation until a medical issue wiped me out. The doc started me on 1 percocet 3 times a day in 2001....slowly the pain was getting worse and my prescription increased over time and this past summer I fianlly had a diagnosis and had 3 brain surgeries. My medical issues were finally over....I thought.

I was taking between 15 and 30 percocet a day....not 24 hrs, but between 9am and midnight. During the Summer from June till 3 weeks ago I was given 150 mgs of demoral every 3 hours and percocet in between if the pain was to much.

The pain from the surgeries has gone away...mstly and I thought I could just stop taking the pain pills and all would be okay, because I got the pills from a doctor I couldn't be like the duggies I see on TV. I wasn't stealing, faking scripts, seeking new doctors or buying illegally so I should be okay....I have had 6 days of detox and withdrawals and looking back I have to finally admit to myself that I did get enjoyment out of the pills.My wife had to scoop me out of my chair after I passed out after crushing 3 or 4 pills and drinking them in water. I had a legitimate claim to pain and the pills and I was no better than other opiate addicts. I have to clean up the same way a heroin addict does and feel the pain they do. Fortunately I have a wife that is supportive and holds my hand when I am shaking and throwing up. I am very lucky to have her.

I read that people don't understand addicts and I can assure you that I don't understand addicts and I am one. Until an addict is willing to look in the mirror and not like what they see no one can change them or get them to quit or even try to quit. I thought I felt okay and could quit....I am trying but I do crave the percocets and its my wife and kids that keep me from seeking it out. Up to 6 days ago I never had those thoughts, but now that the pills are gone and the detox/withdrawal pains are rolling in I actually have been wanting even just 1 pill.

I am proud of all of the women that posted here, you are brave amazing people. You can't change an addict...you can give them ultimatums, but you have to stick to them too.

Bless you all....I am sure your all pi$$ed off, but your only pi$$ed of because you have big hearts and care....take that love and bravery to your next realationships and I wish you all happiness.

Chuck