Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Neverwanted

Questions about Opiate use and Health considerations

My ex ad fiance was opiate dependent. I have some observations and realized some things along the way that I would have not known had I not met him. I am not well versed in addiction.

I noticed he had a lot of acid reflux and was Dxd shortly thereafter with Hiatal Hernia. I read that chewing opiates or pills may cause this. Can someone clarify?

I also read some addicts will take many of those mini thins (ephedrine). He had a pill pack his bandmates found...over 21 were missing and they kicked him out of the band. (Of course I was blamed for that). He told me he has asthma but I have never seen him with a script for one or any indication he has asthma. His mother gave him inhalers when I saw her last...they were hers, not his. What gives???? He said the mini thins help his so called asthma but he takes way more than needed and his hands shake uncontrollably. He suffers from some sort od chronic depression and needs a thorough eval but has mentioned the action of these meds help pick him up out of the blues.

He has intestinal bleeding from constipation brought on by opiate usage. He suffered two serious bloodclots and became anemic and was hospitalized. He was encouraged to have the surgery to fix the hemorrhoids but refused. H ewas able to stay on opiates this way - ie: he was in pain from them.

His Dr prescribed over 100 hydros at one point and I was shocked. What Doctor would do that?????? This was for the hernia. He wont get that repaired either.

He is band aiding his illnesses like a breaking dam. Wont fix anything I guess to stay on drugs.

He couldnt afford or find a dr to prescribe him OXY (he had one before) or hydro, so he orders Tramadol online and has taken soma with it. ("ULTRAMŽ ER is an effective prescription pain medication approved by the FDA for the management of moderate to moderately severe chronic pain in adults who require around-the-clock treatment of their pain for an extended period of time. ")

He is not under a Doctors care for this script. He also ordered Fiorocet from online without a script for his last GF. :

"Important information about Fioricet
Do not use Fioricet if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) within the past 14 days. Serious, life-threatening side effects can occur if you take Fioricet before the MAO inhibitor has cleared from your body. Do not take more of Fioricet than is recommended. An overdose of acetaminophen can cause damage to your liver. Do not use any other over-the-counter cough, cold, allergy, or menstrual pain medication without first asking your doctor or pharmacist. If you take certain products together you may accidentally take too much of a certain drug. Read the label of any other medicine you are using to see if it contains acetaminophen or caffeine. Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase the risk of liver damage while you are taking acetaminophen. If you drink more than three alcoholic beverages per day, do not take acetaminophen without your doctor's advice, and never take more than 2 grams (2000 mg) per day.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Fioricet?
Butalbital may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Fioricet should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.

Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you drink more than three alcoholic beverages per day or if you have had alcoholic liver disease (cirrhosis). You may not be able to take medication that contains acetaminophen.
You should not take Fioricet if you are allergic to acetaminophen, butalbital, or caffeine, or if you have porphyria.

Before using Fioricet, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

kidney disease,

liver disease; or

a history of mental illness or suicidal thoughts.

If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take Fioricet.
FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Fioricet can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use Fioricet without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. "

What bothers me is he has a history of suicide and chronic depression.

Can anyone else relate to or know about these medications to the extent of addicts using them? Have any of you been versed in the health related problems I described as being brought on by addiction??????