View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Chino

Originally Posted by Done-With-It View Post
I used to believe that way kind of... That I couldn't work without doing meth.
When I first learned how to shoot pool it was always with music playing so my brain adjusted to the association. I was young and barely tall enough to see over the table. When I got older and started smoking, I needed music and cigarettes, too. A few more years and I was in bars, so I needed music, cigs, and a shot of tequila followed by a few beers.

Then when I quit smoking the first time, it meant no alcohol because then I'd want to smoke. I gave up pool for a while until I felt ready to face it and I was fine, as long as I had my first association - music. I don't know if I'll ever be able to overcome that one. Good thing my livelihood doesn't depend on it.

Speaking of smoking, it was my choice to pick up after quitting for a few years. I remember standing there at the counter, fidgeting because I knew I was about to screw up buying that first pack. But I did it anyway and it's back to the drawing board. I don't dread withdrawals, it's only 3 days. Once I get past that I don't go back, I know it's all psychological not physical. What I dread is having to adjust all my habits and routines again.