View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Abundance

Being just as sick as our addicts.......

So... I came across this website...... Endorphin Addiction

Some people think it's just a load of you know what... but often we read into things that we want to see at the time...... and well - this is what I need to see at this time.

Endorphin Addiction..... ironically - that is pretty much on a deeper scale the same that my guy probably has as well - although he has found the opiates to be the quick fix that have now gotten a hold of him .... and it is actually now more just a habit that turned into abuse - which is now addiction.

So... what does this have to do with me? I guess I could say I'm quite lucky that mine has not progressed to that point yet - however - with me putting up with or allowing the pain to be my endorphin release - via - out of habit and moving into the abuse of it - I am either quite on my way to addiction or already am in it. Probably the later - but regardless - it must be treated just for my own personal recovery - sanity - and serenity!

What stood out the most to me on the website is the following: (which is where I feel I'm getting my "fix" in the endorphin addiction)

The release of endorphins is caused by all pain, including eating spicy foods; masochism

So.... I have wondered just what in the heck is in it for me to keep putting myself in a situation to experience pain. Why do I still hang out in the boxing ring ...... do I really need to be KNOCKED OUT for me to say enough is enough? AH HA.... I have found it... it's the pain- the pain releases the endorphins. The emotional pain - the psychological pain - the mental pain - heck even the physical pain from my bodily sensations freaking out on me!

Well--- they say.. to overcome one addiction- typically it's easier to just pick up a replacement. (Which I think is what happens with the NA/AA/Alanon lifers..... for example).

So... if I am that much of an endorphin releasing junky ..... surely there have to be better ways to release it HEALTHFULLY! Right?

You all might think I'm a bit crazy here with this..... but after seeing this website and seeing many things that I enjoy are of releasing endorphins.... it is kind of making sense.

So the next time I am using touch therapy or listening to soft music or doing drumming on my djiembe or even eating chocolate - I'm going to pay attention to my endorphins being released.... and be grateful that I am able to do so with natural pleasures...... and just observe it without guilt.... be grateful for the good that is around me.

Peace xoxoxo

PS.... Is "healthfully" even a word????? lol

Last edited by Abundance; 10-05-2008 at 02:25 PM.