Thread: S.C. Check-in
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  
SelfSeeking

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Liver inflammation incident? Do tell if it does not bother you to share...If you don't want to talk about it, of course that's fine.

The one thing that scares me the most about this is my physical health...I can deal with the ups and downs of changing my behavior over time...but I wonder...can my body wait that long? Just thinking out loud here...
I've posted about it before... It doesn't bother me to talk about it, now that I am no longer putting myself at risk for it to happen again This was not an "official" diagnosis, but one of my friends is a doc. The day after a major binge my hangover started "normal" but then took on a life of its own. I couldn't keep water down, I was vomiting several times an hour and it seemed to just get worse and worse. I even took a crushed-up valium to try to stop the puking but it didn't work. I was aware of a throbbing dull ache in my upper right abdomen... right over my liver. My friend did an abdominal exam and I had signs of either acute hepatitis or pancreatitis. We considered going to the hospital but decided to do 'watchful waiting' at home. Probably stupid but we absolutely did not want to go to the hospital and have them think I had some sort of drinking problem! Because I didn't. Ha. So I don't have the blood test results to *prove* it, but my friend strongly believes it was acute alcoholic hepatitis. Don't ask me why he was then so hard to later convince that I AM an alcoholic! I think because I wasn't 50, turning yellow, and demented, which is what the alcoholics look like that he treats all the time.

The next day I could hold down water. The day after that I decided I was "better enough" and got drunk again. It was almost four months later, full of drinking and hangovers and dropped responsibilites and anxiously palpating my own liver and taking milk thistle and vit. B, before I realized I was killing myself and found this site, and then AA. So that's the whole story.