View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

I didn't answer this post right away, because it really hits close to home. We did not move back to my AH's home town, but we did move from a big city to a small town. Within about 3 years of living here, he had cultivated a circle of drinking buddies, and our house was "party central." It was horrible and it only got worse the longer it went on. Like you, I would be ridiculed and chastised for being the "fun police" as he used to say. I allowed this to go on for way too long and my children were traumatized by it.

The county deputies were familiar with our house as they were called by neighbors at least once a month due to noise. And we lived on five acres, so it was loud enough to carry pretty far. Oh, my ex is a musician, and so were most of his buddies, so most of the noise was drunken attempts at playing music. I remember one time, we had gone to a barbeque at one of my friends houses. His music buddies "dropped by" only to find us not home. What did they do? They let themselves in and proceeded to party away. The cops came that night, too, and we weren't even there! OMG.

If I had it all to do over again, I would make it known that those people are not welcome in my home. I would make it an inhospitable place to hang out. I didn't do that at the time because I wanted to keep the peace with my husband and I preferred having him at home than out on the town. It was a mistake. I should have put a stop to it immediately and protected my children.

If you threaten to call the cops, and they ignore you, then you must call. Otherwise, they will conclude that you are not serious and they will continue on, undeterred. I'm not telling you what I did. I'm telling you what I wish I would have done.

I feel for you.....

L