View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
hadenoughnow

Denny is right about this not being for the faint of heart.

My ex and I split our assets 50/50, in my case me keeping the house made the most sense since the mortgage was in my name only and my "half" of my ex's pension was roughly equal to his "half" of our house equity. My ex had consultations with 3 attorneys but never hired one probably since none of then could do what he really wanted which was to stop me from leaving him. Him not having an attorney probably made things cheaper (no attorneys running up bills talking to each other) but more difficult because he didn't show up for any hearings so my attorney was having to send him letters of default. It also put the burden on me to get him to sign things in order to get it over with.

To top it all off AFTER it was final he had a 21 day period to appeal the judgment and started quacking that he was going to hire a lawyer to overturn the property settlement! I told him that I hope he had at least 10k laying around to waste since any attorney willing to take his nuisance case was going to suck him dry LOL.

This guy who:

Tried to refuse being served with divorce papers (threw them at the process server)

Refused to hire an attorney

Didn't answer the complaint

Signed the divorce agreement just to get out of going to a parenting plan meeting (no I am not kidding)

Did not show up for mediation (but refused to cancel it)

Did not show up for the final hearing

Refused to sign the quit claim to the house (took me two weeks and many threats to get back from him)

Thought that he was going to get the divorce and agreement vacated........