View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
member31986

Thanks to all, my D does know that dad was in "one of those moods" so I know she knows something is up, just not alcoholism. The reason I have not told her about her father...1. she adores hom and he is a good dad 2. Yes, like others, he will spoil her when he drinks...ie buy her things, etc. 3. 2 years ago, my D started to develop an eating disorder (anorexia). That to me was way far worse than my AH. I worked with her w/ counseling, nutritionists etc. and she has recovered! Life is good for her now and I can not take the chance of it reverting back. I know she will eventually need to be told the story as I have told my AH. But for now, I just can not do it. When my AH drinks, he gets chit chatty, and repeats himself over and over and over again. It nauseating...I want to say SHUT UP! but at times I tolerate it. As I said, he is a functioning alcoholic and goes to work (is in pharm sales), perfect job to go when he has to (makes his own schedule, so he is not in an office. I know when he is but i do not look for it...why bother...I just worrry that he could be driving and something could happen...all our savings could be out the window. I am set to inherit some $ so I want to at least protect that. I have been out of the work force for 8 years now and think it might be time to go back (for me) . Anyone else out there with a functional alcoholic spouse? We have been married 23 years, he was in rehab 17 years ago, (my son was 1 year old) that was when I thought he would go in and get cured...little did I know back then....His mother back then (now deceased) told me she would understand if I divorced him because of it. His dad was an alcoholic as well...although never diagnosed as such but I fully understand that she knew exactly what I would face in life. My H is an only child as well and now both his parents are gone. Sorry to ramble...its easy to do on here. Thanks for the support that I get and I know you all understand.