View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
member31986

caught in the act

Well today was beautiful here and my AH was invited to go to a college football game w/ my D and his bestfriend and his D. My AH got up was heading to the garage...of course I followed him there to find him behind his car chugging some wine (poured into an old oj bottle). He was to be the driver to the game today. Of course I flipped out on him and he knew he was dead meat! I told him to call his friend and have his friend drive instead and to tell his friend why. All he replied was "I just has a sup" I told him I did not care if it was a sup or not, he was not going to drive...period. His friend is aware of my H's problem (of 20+ years) so I knew he would understand. I asked what he was going to do with the bottle, he told me he needed it for a little bit. As long as he was not driving, I really did not care and I took it to the fridge to "chill" where I told him it was. I had to go out for awhile (errands) and when I came home, the empty bottle was on the counter. He told me he had alittle more and threw the rest out. He did not appear to be drunk. He had done so well over the summer and slipped up a few weeks ago. I knew he had and he insisted (as they all do) it was just a blip in the radar and he will be fine once again(yeah right). I have to admit I felt good over challanging him on this one and not letting him drive regardless. He has always been a "closet functional alcohoholic" for many years. I know in my heart it probably will eventually kill him. I just don't want him to kill anyone else on the roads. Was I right in what I did? I am trying also to detatch but it is hard when you live with someone. I have a son in college, D 14years old who does not know of her father's problem...he has always been good in disguising it...every trick in the book, holds a good job but is slowly destroying himself physically (and mentally). I choose to live for my children and not for him or make excuses any more. Comments welcome Peace to all