Thread: warning
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Guinevere

warning

Wedding Band

When I married forty years ago, my husband gave me a simple wedding band, certainly nothing fancy, no diamonds, just a thin, gold band, On my 25th wedding anniversary he bought an anniversary ring. Because my aging knuckles are larger than they were in 1968, my original band was no longer comfortable. I placed my new ring on my finger and my original gold band in a small white ceramic container on my dresser.

I am a simple woman. I have never bought myself expensive “jewelry store” bangles, but for Christmas, anniversaries, and birthdays, my husband would buy me a special piece, not because I requested such items, but because he wanted to show his love. On these special days he would present me with a nice necklace, bracelet or earrings. Over our forty years of marriage, I had collected some nice pieces that I wore mostly for special occasions. Through the years I came to recognize the neatly wrapped boxes with my special gifts. I didn’t wear this jewelry that held sentimental value very often, but I loved each piece because it represented a precious tangible reminders of my husband’s love and affection.

Two nights ago, I opened my ceramic jewel box and my wedding band was missing. Admittedly, my mind is not a sharp as it was years ago, but after a moment’s contemplation, I thought that I had better check for my other jewelry pieces. I checked each box; not one piece of my nicer jewelry is left. Gone. All necklaces and bracelets are gone, traded, pawned, or sold to purchase drugs. My supposed RAS raided my jewelry box.

I wrote this note to remind everyone with an addict in the family that nothing sacred to a person who is hooked. They will lie to and steal from anyone.

I have been depressed, so sad and so sick at heart. I can hardly function. My jewelry is just stuff, but my heart is broken because each stolen item was lovingly selected and my trust was violated by my own son.

Addiction keeps on hurting. My counselor is on sick leave from work, I thought that writing of my painful experience might be therapeutic for me and helpful to someone else.

SR Friends, thanks for being here.