Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sunrose

Need some advice/your thoughts...

I was 'googling' being involved with an alcoholic & found this site again. The posts were so good that I decided to sign up not realizing I signed up long ago but didn't use this site anymore. I've never been on a site like this before.
The reason I write to you now is that I'm sure a lot of you feel the same as me. I seem to always date men with alcohol/possible addiction problems. My father was a severe alcoholic & he passed away from complications of that(cancer) 10 years ago. My parents were divorced, but I still cared about him even though he didn't really care about me & my sister or his son that is in overseas.
Even though I don't want to, & understand that women seem to pick men like their father's(& I know better), I still seem to be attracted to men & their problems don't have such a big impact on me. Guess I'm used to dealing with it since I grew up with a father who had a bad alcohol problem that I tried to help him with my entire childhood/life. It was very devastating for me watching him destroy his life & he was a professional who was very talented at his career.
My main question is, are there any of you who feel you don't really deserve a good partner & that's why you even think it's ok, I can handle his addiction cuz I grew up with it???
I'm not really seeing this person anymore because I've seen signs of a very bad alcohol problem which is sad because he has a great career as well, nice apartment, etc.........I can't really understand how someone who has it 'all together' can have such a big problem, I don't understand how you can drink so much & maintain a good career, nice place, etc??????
I would really appreciate you feedback & sorry for such a long post, I just kinda feel heartbreak a little cuz I'm kinda mad at myself for not beleiving I deserve better.
(thankyou for all your great posts that I just read, they really helped me a lot)