View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GingerM

Am I driving her to drink more if I cut her out of my life, but am I enabling her if I stick around her??
Taking someone to the emergency room when they've seriously injured themselves (via drugs or physical trauma) is not enabling.

Telling your mother that you do not want this chaos in her life will not make her drink. She's already drinking. And she will most likely continue to drink. You do not hold the bottle to her mouth and force it down her, it is her choice to make.

If you decide to go no contact with your mom, how she handles it is her issue. You are not responsible for the actions or reactions of other adults (not including people with developmental disabilities).

The "three C's" of recovery are the following: you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. Your mom bears full responsibility for that. Obviously, if she needs medical assistance, that is required. But the rest of the time? That is not your responsibility. If she chooses (because it is a choice) to drink herself to death (be it death by alcohol poisoning or death by hypothermia), that is her choice.

I'm glad you found this forum, feel free to post with whatever questions you have. It is, indeed, difficult to wrap one's mind around foreign concepts, including the idea that "because of my childhood" I do this or act that way. The good thing is that, like your mother, you have choices you can make as well. And better yet, you are looking at things and questioning them, and wondering what would be best for you and your family.