View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

I too work the program of AA. I also take the anti anxiety agent, Klonopin. I do not feel that my taking the medication as prescribed affects my sobriety. My drug of choice was alcohol. I do not have any desire to drink because of the klonopin. I am well aware that there are those in the fellowship who have their beliefs that any medication including anti depressants should not be taken by an alcoholic in recovery. My personal experience is that people die because of those types of attitudes in recovery. I have seen people commit suicide because they were told they needed to stop taking their "mood altering drugs" (anti depressants) and they did then turned around and killed themselves. Lot of good it did them to be sober. I know that when I take the klonopin it is not to escape from reality but rather to be able to be in reality. Due to my PTSD groups of people with more than 4 or 5 can set off extreme and overwhelming anxiety. The anxiety kept me from leaving my house, nearly got me kicked out of school, and contributed to a job loss, and the inability to find and stick with employement. If it were not for the klonopin and the other prescribed meds I would not be able to function. People that make the judgement that others should not take any medication and just work the program of AA do not understand what a chemical depression is. AA is great for the situational (life sucks because I pissed my family off because I stayed out drunk for 3 days, or I can't drive because I wrecked my car) depression. In fact it did help me with my situational depression.

Please do not judge your alcoholism by someone elses standards. Only you know if you are truly an alcoholic. I personally have no doubt that I am an alcoholic. Because of that I am careful with the medications that I take for my mental health issues. I take it only as prescribed. I don't compare my alcoholism to drug addiction as I am not utilizing the medication for the same purpose I did with alcohol and I also do not have the obsession like I did with alcohol. My sponsor is well aware that I take medications and is of the same belief I am that when the BB spoke of seeking outside help that meant seek outside help i.e. mental health doctors etc....