View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blessed4x

Question about detachment

I have read a lot about detaching and have tried to put it into practice, but I seem to have trouble with not going to an angry place. I think that getting myself to an alanon meeting will help. For an example of my struggles....last night AH called and said he could not take our son to practice because he'd "had a beer or two". He said it in a "so there you will have to take him" tone. I said I would be happy to take him, left work a little early and thought that was the end of it. Son got in the car and proceeded to tell me that his dad is worthless and irresponsible (words he came up with on his own because I do not talk bad about AH in front of the kids), and that his dad tried to get his brother to go to the store with him but brother refused to get in the car with anyone who has been drinking. I get angry and do not speak to AH for the rest of the evening......not exactly the kind of detaching I planned. Does it just take practice? How much damage is all of this doing to my children? When does a person get to the place where they feel like they can actually make a decision? Sorry for all the questions. I'm feeling more and more sad/angry/frustrated all the time. I guess that could be good because 2 months ago I was feeling nothing at all.