Thread: Dignity
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BohemiMamaof3

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
IMHO-
I don't believe anyone is hopeless.

Dignity doesn't have much to do with this horrible disease in my opinion.

Once the alcoholic/addict is ravaged by his disease he may no longer have the ability
to get treatment on his own, due to physical and psychological sickness.
Family members can step in and intervene just as they would with any other chronic illness. But we must keep an emotional detachment and back away if our efforts are unsuccessful. Stepping in at a later date when approp.

I will do nothing that contributes to my son's addiction getting worse, nor will I keep a front row seat to it. But I do carry the message that recovery is possible and I will stand beside him, and help him figure out how to get into a program as many times as it takes.

Right now my son is in his 3rd treatment center where he's been for 24 weeks.
We've had great distance between us through the yrs. when his addiction had been bad and he has been unwilling to get well. But ea. time that I've seen that he is at a place where he could die, I've been able to successfully intervene to interrupt the progression.
I think this sums up beautifully how parents deal with an a child. I think there can be a subtle difference in the approach of a parent and the approach of a romantic partner/spouse.