Thread: Work...
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
GingerM

It has been my experience that none of the things I wished would diminish over time actually did so, until I sought therapy and found the root cause of my behavior, then addressed the root cause. I was (and still am) always surprised when the thing I *thought* was the root cause ended up not being the cause at all, and it turned out to be something I'd never even considered before.

It's possible to change one's mindset by changing one's behavior first, even if it makes one squirm to behave differently. It's sort of the same principle as repeating a lie often enough that it becomes the truth, only in this case, it's repeating the behavior I want to have often enough that it no longer makes me uncomfortable (for instance, I was well over the age of 30 when I finally learned to say 'no' - prior to that I absolutely could not say no, even if it was something I really didn't want to do. I had to start saying 'no' first, even though it made me terribly uncomfortable, and live with that discomfort. Now, some 10 years later, I am able to gracefully decline without feeling awkward or uncomfortable or like I'm letting someone down. But it took making it through that horrible squirmy place and sitting with the discomfort initially to be able to finally set a boundary for myself in saying 'no').