View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 01:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sleepygoat

hi marle,

i use seroquel for the 'off label" use of treating insomnia. I take half of the lowest dose (half a 25mg tab = 12.5mg) and I sleep until next tuesday everytime I do take it.

when I wake up, I am so hungry I could eat the whole 'fridge, outside and in. I also understand that any dose higher than 25mg a day will cause Massive weight gain. If your AD is anything like mine, gaining weight would freak her out. It might also trigger relapse - you'd be surprised how many female addicts relapse because they miss being the rail-thin waifs they were when active addicts, and can't handle the out of control feeling of gaining weight - even the normal weight gain of recovery - let alone a med that not only makes you hungry as hell, but also changes the metabolism to create weight gain even more. Antipsychotics are NOTORIOUS for weight gain!!
Now, if she can take 25 mg or less, every once in while for severe anxiety, I'd say, yeah, not a bad idea. but I doubt its prescribed that way. the psychiatrists are just medication-happy these days IMO, especially with us addicts!!