View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rawdeal
aka Emma

Will al-anon work for me?

I dont want to come across as cynical, but i have to say i am very dubious about taking the plunge and going to my first al-anon meeting.

I have two abusive alcoholic parents who i am living with and will be living with for the forseeable future or at least until i can find a place cheap enough to move into. I have a brother and a sister and we have formed a closely knit unit, almost a bubble of unity. Weve only developed this to defend ourselves from the pain of our horrible home. We hold pride in how strong we are in dealing with our situation at home, but alot remains unsaid with regards to feelings and emotions.

We are christians, but not at all religious. I cant imagine doing anything but cringing upon walking into (now this may be stereotyping), almost a cult-like gathering of people with much tamer situations than ours. We all have serious intimacy issues and i dont like the idea of all the "sharing" and hand-holding i imagine will be the standard in these meetings. Surely there is no point trying to recover from something which will continue without doubt?