View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

This is from Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 1/26

I’d read the Twelfth Step many times before I saw it. But there it was: “Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps. . .“ What a promise! If I worked these Steps, I’d have a spiritual awakening! There was hope, even for me!

Now that’s not why I first came to Al-Anon. Like many, I came to find out how to make someone stop drinking. It was much later when I realized that my life was missing a sense of direction only a Higher Power could provide.

Those wonderful Twelfth Step words gave me the encouragement I needed to begin at the beginning. Slowly, sometimes painfully, I worked my way through the Steps. In time, something amazing happened. I was filled with a sense of my God and His love for me. I felt whole. I knew I’d never be the same again.

Today’s Reminder

The Steps offer me a road map for living that leads to a spiritual awakening and beyond. I can’t skip ahead to the end of the journey—which can at times be a hard one—but I can put one foot in front of the other and follow the directions I’ve been given, knowing that others who have gone before me have received more along the way than they had ever dreamed.

“The first time I ever heard the Twelve Steps read at a meeting, I became very still. I felt I was not breathing. . . I was just listening with my whole being.. . I knew deep within me that! was home.”

As We Understood…