View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
GiveLove

I'm glad you're researching AA options. And I hope that he takes this opportunity, even if he's seizing on excuses ("I probably won't understand") to not go. That's common.

I encourage you -- strongly -- to set up your own bank account that he cannot access. This will take you fifteen minutes of life to do. This is to ensure that you have sufficient living expenses for you and your child, now and in the future. And make it so he is not able to touch that.

If & when that account has paid its bills (apartment, utilities, food) and you have put a little aside as a survival savings, then you're free to use what's left to continue to support his lifestyle; if HIS quality of life is so much more important than yours and your child's, that is your choice.

But you simply must protect yourself, MRF -- I know you have sympathy for him, and I'm passing no judgments about his willingness to seek help, but there is no excuse for letting an alcoholic drink away your income, when it is as easy as protecting the bare necessities from his disease.

In the substance abuse forum, there are stories of people who live with addicts, who continue to be surprised when the TV, DVD player, extra cash, jewelry, all end up pawned to buy more drugs. This is no different -- if money is readily available to him, he will drink it up. And you are paying for him to continue to be an alcoholic.

Read this site's "stickies" and learn about setting boundaries. This is how we survive. I wish you luck - and strength, and hope.