View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bookwyrm
Curled up in a good book...

Originally Posted by freeflower View Post
I don't know if I read it here or saw it on dr. phil or something like that, but it did stick with me....alcoholism is not a diesase but an addiction.
The book Under the Influence, describes alcoholism as a disease - it explains how some people who abuse alcohol become alcoholics while others don't. It also goes into the physical changes that happen in the body of an alcoholic and why they can never have another drink again. It is linked to a missing enzyme in the liver (I think I remember that right). I know that the professionals working in the field are still debating this issue though!

More importantly though, does this make a difference in how you deal with an alcoholic partner? This information helped me get past my rage and reach a place of compassion for him. I'm still leaving though. If he had a different disease then there would be a different response appropriate to that disease. I compare his alcoholism to violent schizophernia - if refused treatment for that I would be gone too!! His abusive, manipulative and devious behaviour may be a symptom of his disease but he still has a measure of control over it and (now that I'm more aware of it) I don't have to tolerate it.

Just my tuppence worth!