Old 07-20-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

In regards to a "dry drunk":
Originally Posted by freya View Post
"an alcoholic who is not drinking but seriously working any kind of recovery and is actively engaged in many -- or all -- of the other negative behaviors associated with the disease of alcoholism and also, often, strongly involved in other addictive behaviors."
In the best usage of the term "a dry drunk" is someone that exhibits some or many of the symptoms of alcoholism with out drinking. Unfortunately the term can apply to someone with a mental or personality disorder.
Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
So "dry drunk" can also refer to a kind of mood or behavior pattern....
However because of the double meaning of a dry drunk, attributing anyone's behavior by a fundamental causation is a tricky. I prefer to identify the emotions someone displays, than to identify the whole person with some psychological condition.

example: He is angry. Rather than, He is schizo effective with a histrionic personality disorder (dry drunk?...lol).

I personalty will not use the term because I cannot be fully aware of all the contributing factors that cause a persons behavior. And if I could, I still think attributing singular causes to anybody's psychological condition (outside a professional setting) is foolhardy and mirrors prejudice too closely.

Originally Posted by windysan
"getting tight" OMG!!
LOL....unfortunately I would get too "loose" and run amok.

Last edited by Zencat; 07-20-2008 at 04:52 PM.