Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nolonger

About "dry drunk" - I agree it can be a nasty term when used about a person, for all the reasons given above. But don't forget that at the time when a lot of AA terminology was coined, "a drunk" meant EITHER "a person" or "a drinking spree". "He went on another drunk", etc.

So "dry drunk" can also refer to a kind of mood or behavior pattern, like Freya suggests. It's akin to the term "dry bender." This is something I can totally identify with - even though its getting on for two years since I had a drink, there are sometimes days and even weeks where I totally lose any sort of even keel, when I'm full of myself and my own resentments and obsessions.

In the past, I would have drifted from pub to pub, drinking myself into a coma until I woke up and started again. These days, i find other ways of wasting my time and my energy, until I wake up to myself and come out of it - but the patterns are very similar.

I do believe there's such a thing as a "dry bender." And during *those* times, I am a "dry drunk." Definitely.