Thread: she's a mess
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, I do realize that taking her to the HIV clinic, because she is incapable of keeping these appointments as an active addict, is a form of enabling, but if she's dead of AIDS, she's not going to get clean anyway. My (NA) sponsor supports the idea of me taking her as long as I keep it simple and keep the focus on the task at hand (get her to the appointment) and not on trying to get her clean or getting her to change.
I don't believe this is being SUCKED BACK IN. I believe you NA sponsor is 'right on.' Keep the focus on the task at hand, take her back to wherever she is staying and go on home, (maybe with a stop for lunch if she can keep any food down).

Yes, it is hard being in recovery for addiction, and then having to attend Alanon or Naranon also. I went 'kicking and screaming' at exactly 3 years sober. It was the best dang thing I ever ever did for me!!!!! Not only did it help me with my 12 step program of recovery from alcohol and drugs (gave me a whole new perspective on the 12 Steps) it helped me so much with my codie side!

If I were you, I too would take her to the appointment. This is not about her addiction, this is about her health. If her HIV is kept in check she just might find recovery yet.

J M H O

Love and hugs,