Old 07-20-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dave47

Good thread Alera and some good replies.
I left religion years ago and only came back to it with compromises. I tend to ignore the politics of it all as just too many man made laws and not Gods laws.
I believe in the power of prayer and have seen many times the comfort religion can bring to some people and that is what probably keeps me involved, but as for God taking control of my problems- no way.
I believe we were created into a blissful, loving, innocent state and given life( which we wanted). We are here to deal with it all, love, hate , joy , sorrow etc. God is always there but will not get involved because that is not part of the plan. It is down to ourselves to deal with our own problems, and even better if we have loved ones or friends to help. God will not criticize and will love us whatever we do. I have responsibilities to myself and my family and am trying to do the best I can (albeit belatedly). But whatever I do, God will still be there with me.
All I can think with regard to the hardships some endure and of the horrors and disasters, is that all those concerned and their loved ones will know, understand and accept why when it is time for them to do so.
This time last year I was an overweight drunk, now I run and cycle regularly and am much fitter mentally and physically. Others have helped including SR but having attended AA for a while at the start of the year I knew it wasn't for me. When I started going there, even though I had misgivings I thought that being part of the group would be a good thing to keep me sober. Apart from not accepting much of it, being a few months sober already my brain was clear. The suggestion of being a drydrunk I found quite offensive and I realised that I could work on me and that is what I am doing.