View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
itisatruth

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
There is no "cure" for addiction. If you are an addict, you will be one for the rest of your life. What we recovering addicts learn to do is deal with life without resorting to drugs/alcohol. An addict's initial response to almost anything is to use...feeling stressed? get high. feeling great? get high. feeling depressed? get high. In recovery we learn how to deal with those feelings without getting high. Rehab is only a start in that process.
Welcome to SR - wander around, read, and share. It has done wonders for me. I also go to alanon now too. Here and at alanon are the only places I feel like I am not alone (there are no naranon in my area).

As Amy said, there is no cure for addiction. Recovery is a process that must be worked through. That goes for your BF who has to want to do it. But it also applies to YOU as well - not you working on his recovery, but you learning about yourself and your needs.

Now that you're here, I hope you can start to do things for yourself to help you on this journey. It is then that you can work towards healthy relationships.