Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Warning, although discussing my secular recovery, my reply is filled with "God talk".

Originally Posted by Stamps43 View Post

Again, I'm not looking to disregard anyone's belief in a god but I often see a fine line between constructive spirituality and destructive blind faith. I have a friend who is a bankruptcy trustee and tells me about people who were given options to help them find a resolution. Instead of acting on their own, they write letters back that say things like, "God will make the choice for me" and "the lord will take care of this." No god actually takes care of anything and their situations become worse than ever when all they needed to do was to believe in themselves first and work on the problem at hand. I would not want to see someone handling addiction in the same way. Even if it does work, an individual would believe something or somebody other than themselves was responsible for the success. There is no gain of confidence and the only thing built is a reliance on something/someone else (like addiction.)
I agree with you. I just do not understand people with this blind faith in God. I cannot imagine going to Mass and hearing a priest say "Don't listen to the doctor, just pray and you will get well" or "Don't refinance your home, take the risk you may get an inheritance". We would run him out of town! Sick, see a doctor. Can't afford your bank payments, work with the bank! God gave me professionals for a reason.

Now why would I accept that type of advice about something life threatening as addiction when I wouldn't over any other part of my health. I wouldn't.

It is almost a sort of gamble and we are asking God to roll the dice for us. I deserve better, and so does God.