View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
dancinggirl

Wow...how wonderful to hear some of the same things that I felt about AA! I know it works for some people...but I think it has to be the right mix of people you have at your AA, plus your personal beliefs. In my town, the AA is BEYOND religious! I didn't feel comfortable being forced to echo religious beliefs I don't know if i do or don't believe. I can't focus on theology at the same time as my sobriety! I didn't feel comfortable being told I could NOT do this without the other people. I didn't like looking around and seeing people who'd gone to these meetings every day for thirty years and wonder how it is that they don't see this as another type of dependency? If I can't do this for me, I certainly can't do it for other people in an AA meeting!

Maybe I was just at a bad one? I don't know, but I like this forum and will be using this in lieu of AA. My town doesn't have anything besides AA, plus there's no way I can go without having someone to watch my children...and that isn't possible for me.

I'm joining the 12 steps of "don't drink...and repeat 12 times". That way I'm not spouting stuff to other people that I just don't believe.