View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
outtolunch

Your 2 cents, please

My 19 year old AD is once again addicted to her DOC, heroin. Heroin and stealing go hand in hand.

AD is employed by people I know. AD has access to the cash register and a key to the store. It is only a matter of time before she takes enough to be detected. I also work in this town and my business depends upon my name and personal integrity.

As most of us know, most people operate with the belief system that they have control over their adult children or that they did a good enough job raising them that their adult children will live on the straight and narrow. Of course, most people do not understand because they have no reason to. Heck, I was once one of them.

And so while I grapple with what to do on the home front, I also grapple with telling the shop owners what's going on and that they need to change their locks, now. My interest is to keep my daughter's name out of the paper because it's going to impact my business. How's this for focusing on me?

AD has been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder meaning she has symptoms of a variety of mood disorders and schizophrenia. I can't tell where emotional/mental illness stops and addiction behaviors begin.

And so, my question of the day is, would you alert the shop owner to the situation or MYOB and let this play out?