Old 07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Random Thoughts on Being Religious in Secular Recovery

As some of you know, I am quite religious (traditional religious actually) yet I feel my sobriety has very little to do with a higher power taking care of these problems. I feel steps 5-7 ask just that.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
I feel God gave me the tools to fix my life. Just like S/He gave us doctors to fix us up when we get sick, I don't rely on Him/Her to fix my addiction and defects of character. Its up to me. Would I blame God if I relapsed? No. Then why would I assume God is responsible when I stay clean? I don't think its right to only find God responsible for half of the equation, especially when I am the one who would be picking up the pill bottle.

That doesn't mean I don't pray about my recovery. Quite the opposite. Just as I pray for guidance and help healing when I take ill, I also pray that I will find the strength in myself to stay clean. However, I don't hold God responsible if I don't get well right away, or if I were to relapse.

If I were to relapse, it would be due to MY errors in my program. I'm a big girl and I know better then to use.

I would like to hear from other religious folks who also work a secular recovery and their feelings on it.