View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I know this woman - almost 28 years in AA - who talks about the 7th step like this:

"You don't get to pick the defects that are removed from you. Look at me! I've prayed and prayed for God to take away my big mouth, but He must have a purpose for it!"

Now, this woman has sponsored many, many people. She's a little rough around the edges, isn't always politically correct. And, yes, she's got a big mouth. There are some folks who've bounced from gentle sponsor to gentle sponsor and finally ended up with her - and stayed on the path. So, perhaps she's right. Maybe her big mouth has a purpose, and some people only hear at the decibel she projects.

I was looking online for an NA 7th step prayer, as I don't remember seeing one specifically in the text. I then searched some of the old threads and saw that some NA members had adopted the AA 7th step prayer, which I've found to be my favorite of the formal prayers:

My creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen.
~from Alcoholics Anonymous, First Edition

If there's a formal prayer used in NA for the 7th step, I'd love to read it. I use the 3rd step prayer on a very regular basis. Like, every day.

Peace & Love,
Sugah