Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I really concur with what navysteve said.

In detox they told me to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor (same sex). Well I was given the gift of desperation and the very first meeting I went to, the day I got out of detox I asked a guy to be my sponsor......... he said "No, but I will be your temporary sponsor."

I am thankful for that today, we sat down and talked about what I should look for in regards to a long term sponsor, here are some of the things he suggested:

1. Look for some one who has what you want.
2. Look for some one who not only talks the talk, but walks the walk.
3. Find out if they have worked the steps according to the BB.
4. Find some one you can trust. (Not a gossip)
5. Find someone who is not seeking to be your boss, but who offers you thier ESH and makes suggestions to you based on thier ESH.
6. Ask if they have a sponsor. (If you are asking an old timer they may tell you that thier sponsor died, that is cool, they have been a sponsee)

One very important thing for you to know that I tell all of my sponsees, this is your program, not mine, if you are not comfortable with me it is your right to get another sponsor. It is your sobriety, a good sponsor should be able to handle a sponsee telling them "Hey, I found another sponsor."

I was worried that my original temporary sponsor would be hurt or angry when I told him I had found a long term sponsor, he wasn't....... he gave me a hug and told me that the guy I had chosen was a good man and a good sponsor as well.