Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Anna
Administrator

Exclamation Anonymity

Hi Everyone,

We have had many problems at SR regarding anonymity.

This is a post, originally made by Morning Glory (our Administrator) with some great ideas for protecting your anonymity:

"Here are some tips to remain anonymous on the search engines.

Use a very common name for your member name. Only use it here and not on any other site. If you search for Morning Glory you are going to pull up a bunch of flower sites.

Use an email account that you only use here and not on any other site. Don't use the email to a friend feature unless you use ***** or hotmail, etc.. and use the online webmail to reply to emails. As far as I can see this does not reveal your IP#. You can send yourself some emails and test it.

Don't list anything in your profile that has personal information. The instant messenger allows others to search for you. If you list it here they will find you here. Your homepage listed in your profile can lead others to you here.

Make your birthdate private in your profile.

Don't post images from your personal website or image account. Post images from someone else's site or as an attachment from your computer.

Your IP# is hidden. Your email address is also private unless you post it or reply to someone through the email to friend feature here.

Don't post detailed informaton that will identify you. (People, places, things)

Don't tell anyone about this site.

Don't sign with your real name.

I don't think I forgot anything. If you do these things you should remain anonymous."