View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
faithfully

Seems to be nothing then but to live in the horror

Thank you for everyone’s responses.

I know lots about Methadone, and have done much research. It is supposed to be a painkiller however, not only is it the most addictive substance in the world and harder to get off than heroin, it is not very effective for pain for many people (if not most people). However, it is very lucrative for doctor’s and pharmacists and that is why they are trying to get people who are NOT ADDICTS put on it for chronic pain - $$$ speaks so much louder than true caring.

I have done LOTS of research into chronic pain and the war drugs and the witch hunt on doctors who give out painkillers. It is a very real, very horrific issue right now in Canada and the US. The denial of people to have painkillers when they are in pain is so cruel I cannot even imagine. And then to profit on their pain by giving them a substance so addictive as methadone....it’s sickening.....

Re: Social services, there is very little if any help out there including social services. I have talked to social services, hospital social workers, including staff at drop in centres, shelters etc. many times. You are VERY LUCKY indeed if you can get a social worker that has time/resources to help. Like all other public, medical facilities in Canada, they are understaffed, overworked and underpaid.

I have time and again heard exasperated social workers tell me that yes it really is very hard for anyone, especially in the area I in live in, to get help. Unfortunately I cannot afford to live in an area where there are more provisions.

As for the hospital, first, never would I ever, go against somebody’s last wish. Nor can I legally. I am not married not family.

Secondly, as for staying in that hospital (or most hospitals now) it is NOT SAFE - as they are all extremely dangerous for MRSA for anyone who is old, very young or has a compromised immune system, it is dangerous for these people to have long hospital stays. They are constantly having front page news about how the hospital ONCE AGAIN gave someone MRSA staph infection. I could cite you numerous resources but you get the idea.

I understand not wanting to see the horror. I understand wanting to believe that methadone and social workers and hospitals can help. I understand that the whole idea of turning our backs and letting them die so we can actually really help them could appear to be the right answer. I understand wanting to protect ourselves first, before helping another. I understand that believing that letting someone die in pain seems to be the right thing if they are an addict.

Thank you, for listening and sharing and that I appreciate more than you can ever know.