View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Doingokdave

idea to help with insomnia

Hi and congrats to you. I certainly agree with working the steps as assistance in living a better life, including helping to relieve insomnia. I can throw in some of my suggesstions and take them what you like. when I first stopped abusing, I had the same difficulty and I still have some problems with sleep. what I use and sometimes will use with patients, is start with melatonin--play around with the dose--its not a drug but rather a hormone your body produces anyway which is involved in the sleep cycle--personally, i would try 3mg. you might also want to take L-Tryptophan but there are some poor quality products out there so buy from a reputable source--might want to try 500mg , one or two tablets. also, although the effects will be subtle at first, if you use it every day for a continued period of time, you may eventually get a feeling of stress relief by using a combination of lemon balm and L-theanine----look online or a good health food store would stock it, l-theanine is a component of green tea. Prefer not to use drugs, but sometimes will try desyrel ----its an extremely sedating antidepressant --not a very good antidepressant but it is great for sleep. otherwise and certainly with a lot of caution, you can look at using ambien, lunesta, sonata or rozerem. the last one, rozerem, being the least inoccuois(cant spell-sorry-ha)
since its really just a melatonin agonist. very safe and non addictive but unlikely to do much good if melatonin alone doesnt help your sleep/wake cycle. best of luck to you--i know how frustrating lack of sleep is and how it can ruin just about every aspect of your life.