View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Bluekangaroo
Welcome to SR! You'll find a great deal of support and information here. This is a place to learn about yourself and understand the disease of alcoholism and how it affects everyone around the alcoholic. The collective knowledge of the people here on SR is vast. Each story is different. Each one plays out in its own way. But as different as each story is.......they are all the same.

You are going to decide what you want to do regarding your wedding. And you are going to get to own that decision. We can all give OUR opinions on what you should do but those opinions are based upon how our lives played out. Ultimately, the decision to proceed with the wedding or postpone it will be yours.

I've also been attending some group sessions which have kind of helped, but hearing other peoples stories at the moment is really difficult for me, especially when it involves children.
This is what stuck out for me in your post. I have found that when something is difficult for me to hear, it is because I am hearing something that I don't want to face. It's my way of tuning it out and turning it off.

Stick around. SR is a great place full of really wonderful, supportive people. Just as your fiance needs the support of AA, you need support too. Educating yourself, reading the many wonderful books available on alcoholism and co-dependence, and listening to your inner voice as you educate yourself will help you make these important decisions in your life.

gentle hugs