View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bluekangaroo

Looking for some hope

Hello everyone,
I am pleased that I found this site and am hoping that some of you could help me to find some hope for my future. I am engaged to my wonderful, caring and loving partner - who is an alcoholic. We've been together for 5 years and have worked through a lot of things around his addiction and my co-dependence. We've had lots of downs but many more ups.
I am finding things especially hard at the moment as it is only 3 months 'til our wedding and a few weeks ago he had drank when on a business trip. He had been sober for about 6 months so it was a bit of a shock and is especially frightening given the proximity to the wedding.
I have been seeking help here and have a very supportive family and network of people around me. He has since upped his AA meetings and seems to have understood how scary it is for me at the moment.
I've also been attending some group sessions which have kind of helped, but hearing other peoples stories at the moment is really difficult for me, especially when it involves children. I am embarking on this journey with him and I feel frightened that I may be making a mistake!?
I think what I need to hear is about people who are managing to remain sober and if a sober life is possible???
I hope some of you can help me, Thanks.
(Sorry this is so long for a first posting)