View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Susan - I think you're right.

My niece, Brit, went through an awful stage...cussing and verbally abusing everyone in the family. At first I fought back. Then I finally stopped even talking to her. I told dad what was going on when he confronted me about it (she doesn't act like that when he's around) and I told him that I was tired of her crap and didn't have to take it.

Don't know what happened...he talked to Brit, but she is a different child....kind, as quiet as an almost-15-year-old CAN be. But a friend of mine, here, told me "you need to tell her how much you like the improvements". I hadn't even thought of it, but she was right.

So, I told her how nice it is that she's not cussing us all out anymore, and I really enjoy being around her. She said "thanks....I think I LIKE being nice a lot more".

It's hard not to get our hopes up when they're doing good...not to dread "if the other shoe drops" and the "old" them comes back. I'm trying to point out the positives and stop bringing up the negatives. So far, it's worked.

((Marle)) I'm like Susan....I feel like I know Megan (and a few of the other kids here). Hope she can feel all the hugs and prayers coming her way...and yours!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy