Thread: stick it out?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JohnPainter

First of all, I want to say I appreciate and respect your honesty in admitting you need help. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, I want to tell you that anyone who tells you either to leave or to stay with your boyfriend is operating from their own motives. The hard truth we all have to face in this life is that only we can decide for ourselves what we truly want, and who we truly want to be. I can tell you that my own personal experience staying in a relationship with someone who is actively addicted is excruciatingly painful. I tried to make the relationship work for a very long time, to the detriment of my own well-being. Then, once I decided the relationship was unhealthy, I tried to leave the relationship numerous times. I discovered that my need to be needed by the person I was with out-weighed even my own self-preservation instincts. The truth that I discovered in my situation is that an addict, or alcoholic, who is actively using is not capable of offering true love. No matter what her potential might be if she were to stop, nothing I could do ever gave her the ability to stop drinking and using. I tried everything I could think of. Then, I had to admit the hard truth to myself that I was addicted to her neediness. Her neediness made me feel important in a way that I felt I needed. That was sick on my part, and I had to let go of my sickness, and hers, in order to claim a truly healthy life for myself. That being said, I've also been friends with addicts and alcoholics who, without drinking or using, still lived unhealthy lives. I have to stay away from them if I want to live a healthy life myself. That has meant giving up some friendships. But the truth is that someone who isn't making an attempt to live healthy can not truly be a friend to anyone. I wish you the best of luck. Your situation sounds difficult, and there are, unfortunately, no easy answers. There is, however, a solution if you continue to look at you and be true to yourself. In your particular case, I would imagine that includes being true to your child as well.

John