Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kikidee

New here

I'm not sure why I'm posting, part of me just needs to get things off my chest but maybe some people have some helpful words or thoughts.

My husband is an alcoholic. He is a professional, we have 4 kids and live in the suburbs, and he has no criminal history (here's irony for you, he is a criminal defense attorney and often defends DUI's!) He was never an angry drunk, just kind of pathetic, kwim? Beer was his big thing.

The last so many years after an especially bad night he has tried (and promised)to quit or tried moderation but never worked. This last time it lasted 10 months (but drinking n/a beer). He admits he is an alcoholic and shouldn't drink, but for the past month he's been sneaking it. He usually owns up to it the next day, but on the days he does it he lies right to my face about where he has been.

He does not want to do AA, he says he doesn't think it would be a good fit for him, he says he doesn't want to sit around with a bunch of others talking about their problems. His newest idea is he bought a home breath alcohol machiny-thingy, and he says he is going to do it for me every night twice a night. I told him I'm not comfortable policing him, he says he'll do it on his own initiative. I'm still not crazy about it.

I love my husband and I'm nowhere near leaving him. Is anyone familiar with any good alternative to AA? Does anyone have comments or thoughts for me as to my role in this thing?

Thanks for listening!