View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
carolineb

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
How come _I_ did not run? So many reasons. I trusted her. I loved her. I thought I could help her change. I thought she needed my support. I thought she needed my responsible behavior as a guide. I thought my friends would think badly of me. I thought she deserved a good man like me.
Amen Mike. It's easy to say 'run.' I've said it myself. But....when you truly love and care for someone, it is so hard to turn your back on them.

All I can say, like everyone else....is.....it's a process. It's a process of letting go and ultimately knowing that as hard as it is....letting go truly is an act of love. Many alcoholics will have you believe that if you really loved them, you would hold their hand during the process of them deciding whether to give up alcohol.

The truth is that 'process' is one of insanity and actually just enables them to continue in their disease. This was a tough lesson for me, but in the end, what I needed to realize in order to let go.

I did not let go until I was ready. Just like the alcoholic surrendering to sobriety. You need every step of the journey.

Good luck.